Are you wondering what to wear in Tuscany in October? Fall is in full swing in Tuscany in October no matter which part of the region you are visiting and any local will tell you that layers are the key to your Tuscan Packing list in fall. In this guide we tell you everything to pack for Tuscany in October for men, women, to cope with the changing weather, to look like a local and more
Important Note: This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click through and make a purchase I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you!
Weather in Tuscany in October
Tuscany in October is classified as Fall / Autumn. As such the warmer weather is firmly behind you and you can expect traditional European Fall weather. This means changeable weather with a chance of rain but how cold is Tuscany in October?
How cold is Tuscany in October?
The good news is that although the summer temperatures are behind you, the weather still isn’t what I would classfy as cold cold. For instance the average temperatures in Tuscany in October are lows of 52°F/11°C and average highs of 72°F/22°C.
For this reason we recommend packing layers but not transitioning into a weather wardrobe just yet.
Note: if your visit covers two months be sure to check out our other Tuscany packing list guides:
- What to wear to Tuscany in September
- What to wear in Tuscany in November
- What to wear in Florence in October
- What to wear in Pisa
Is it rainy in Tuscany in October?
One of the only downsides to visiting Tuscany in October is that it is much rainier. In fact there is a 45% chance of a cloudy day In October and rain expected to fall on c.10 days.
For this reason I do like to have a compact travel umbrella and a pair of waterproof shoes with me for visiting Tuscany in October.
Note: if you are traveling to other cities and regions in Italy be sure to check out our other monthly guides:
- What to wear in Italy in October
- What to wear in Rome in October
- What to wear to Florence in October
- What to wear to Milan in October
- What to wear to Venice In October
- What to wear to Pompeii
- What to wear in Naples
- What to wear to the Amalfi Coast
- What to wear in Puglia
- What to wear in Cinque Terre
- What to wear in Lake Como
- What to wear in Positano
- What to wear to Sardinia
- What to wear to Sicily
- what to wear to Capri
How do local people dress in Tuscany in October?
If you want to be more in keeping with the locals you will need to know how the locals Tuscans dress in both the cities and in the countryside.
Locals in both the city and countryside regions of Tuscany tend to have put their summer wardrobes away in October. This you will find replaced by layers and some warmer jackets and even coats towards the end of the month.
It is also worth noting that no matter what month you visit Tuscany, especially in the cities like Florence and Siena, that the locals are a fashionable bunch, especially when dressing for the office or going out for dinner.
Smart casual tends to be the most commonly seen attire in the evenings in Tuscany but gor more information on what to wear to dinner in Italy check out this post
Dress Codes in Tuscany
The main considerations for October in Tuscany are dressing in layers as well as having correct outfits for churches and smart casual dinners. This translates into your packing list in the following ways:
Restaurant Dress Code
Not many restaurants in Tuscany have strict and enforced dress codes. However you will find that locals do tend to dress in a smart casual fashion for dinner. This means smart trousers and blouses with a cardigan or sweater or a dress and tights for ladies. While mean this tends to be smarter trousers or chinos usually though not always paired with a shirt.
Church Dress Code
All Italian churches have dress codes including
- the Florence Duomo,
- the Leaning Tower of Pisa (part of the Pisa Cathedral complex) and
- the Cathedral in Siena.
If you are visiting these on your Tuscan itinerary you will need to make your outfit on that day covers your knees and shoulders and is modest.
What to wear in Tuscany in October
So now you know what to expect from the weather, what should you wear in Tuscany in October?
Best Shoes for Tuscany in October
In my opinion, sneakers are the best shoe for any Tuscan city break where you will be doing lots of walking. Also in October if you plan on visiting countryside sneakers are more appropriate than hiking boots (unless you are going to higher altitudes).
The reason we love sneakers for Tuscany is that they can cope well with cobble stone streets, and uneven walkways of which there are plenty of in Tuscany. And they are also comfortable shoes for touring the many museums and climbing the steps of famous bell towers in the region such as the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
My favorite brand of sneakers for walking are Hoka and AllBirds, however you also can’t go wrong with a plain white sneaker as they go with everything. One of my favorite pairs of white sneakers is the Adidas Cloud Foam shoes.
As the weather is changeable in Tuscany in October we recommend having a leather boot with some waterproofing as well as a sneaker.
I personally don’t like to wear sneakers to dinner, and hate overpacking so I find two pairs of shoes is perfect for Tuscany in October and is the reason I select an ankle boot.
The only other shoe I would even consider is a hiking boot but only if you are going into the hillier areas around Tuscany. Otherwise I would just stick with two pairs of shoes especially if you want to create a capsule wardrobe for Italy.
For more information on how to pack a Fall travel capsule wardrobe check out this post.
What to wear in Tuscany in October for women
So what does a Tuscany Packing List in Fall for women look like? In our opinion you should have the below on your Tuscany Packing List for September:
Short skirts and dresses are on my what not to wear in Italy list. That is because they are not appropriate in churches.
Therefore I tend to pick maxi or midi length items for Tuscany in October. My personal preference is a midi as I think they pair with boots and tights better but this is personal preference.
Trousers are a great pick for Tuscany in October. As the weather has cooled in October jeans are a great pick for sightseeing in the city and the countryside.
This is particularly important if you are visiting towards the end of October. We recommend packing several cardigans or sweaters of different weights for evenings and cooler days as the weather turns more autumnal.
I usually like to have a dressier top layer too to pair with dresses for going out for dinner.
As the rain increases in October it is worth adding a waterproof jacket to your packing list. However we recommend getting a compact one so you can store it away when you don’t need it.
Loose blouses are perfect for Tuscany in October as they work brilliantly for smarter dinners and for churches. I tend to select either long sleeve or 3/4 quarter length sleeves for October as the weather cools.
Although summer has ended t shirts should still be on your packing list for Tuscany. The only change though is that we now recommend having a mix of short and long sleeve t shirts.
To help you not look like a tourist I would recommend sticking to plain t shirts instead of those that have a graphic or text or are in loud colors.
A pashmina should be on any Italy packing list no matter the month you are visiting.
Pashminas can act as a scarf or extra layer on cooler nights and can help make your outfit more modest for visits to churches in Italy.
Swimwear and beach cover (optional)
Only required if you plan to do a day trip to the coast or are staying at a hotel with a heated pool. Otherwise you can leave these at home.
PJs or Nightie
The sun is bright even in October so you definitely need sunglasses. Shop Sunglasses for Italy here.
Underwear and Socks
Goes without saying.
What to Wear in Tuscany in October Packing List for Men
The general pieces you need to pack for Tuscany in October for men has some similar themes to the women’s packing list. As such we recommend packing:
For this reason we recommend packing the below for one week in Tuscany:
- Trousers – We recommend packing a smarter pair of trousers like chinos for evenings but as the temperatures have cooled jeans are also appropriate. We recommend picking jeans that are smarter and darker in color to be more in keeping with local style.
- Short Sleeve T Shirts – a staple for any Tuscany packing list. Again we recommend wearing plain colors in more muted tones to be more in keeping with local Italian style.
- Shirts – long sleeves are better for October.
- Blazer – A jacket is a great pick for dining in Italian restaurants. We find October too cool for linen jackets so instead pick a slightly heavier weight blazer
- Layers – For October you will want some light layers such as sweaters or cardigans with you as the weather starts to cool.
- Waterproof jacket
- Smarter Pair of Shoes for dinner
- Swimwear (optional depending on your itinerary and accommodation).
What to Pack for Tuscany in October (Non Clothing)
So now you know the clothes and outfits for Tuscany in October, what should you pack for Milan in October that isn’t clothes?
Whenever we travel to Tuscany we will normally also have the following with us:
- Backpack – for storing items on your day trips.
- Crossbody Bag – anti theft type if you are planning to visit cities and tourist attractions which tend to attract pickpockets.
- Compact Travel umbrella.
- Sun Screen – an essential in all of Italy at this time of year.
- Aloe Vera / Aftersun – no one wants to get burnt however it is better to have this with you just in case.
- Lipbalm with SPF – as I mentioned the sun is strong so on top of sunscreen we recommend packing lip balm with sun protection. Our favorite brand at the minute is sun bum.
- Insect Repellant
- Reusable Water Bottle – This will save you money and is better for the environment so be sure to pack one with you.
- Charging Equipment
- Power pack / Battery Pack
- Travel Adapaters for electronics – Italy uses standard European outputs and plugs.
- Chub Rub – if you are worried about sweating and chaffing chub rub can be a life saver on hot days.
FAQs about our Tuscany October Packing list
Do you need a jacket in October in Tuscany?
A jacket is an important component of any Tuscan packing list for October. I usually will bring a waterproof one as the rain increases in this month.
However a blazer or smarter jacket is also a great pick for evenings.
Can you wear jeans in Tuscany in October?
As the weather has cooled, jeans have become my go to trouser for Tuscany in Fall.
Should I pack swimwear for Tuscany in October?
Whether of not you need swimwear for October depends on:
- if you plan on visiting a beach
- if your hotel has access to a heated pool
- if you plan to travel to other beach regions of Italy
- if you plan to go on a Med cruise as part of your Milan trip
If you answer yes to the above then you may want to pack some swimwear (particularly early in the month). However others, like me, will find it too cold so you can leave the swimwear at home.
Can you wear shorts in Tuscany in October?
Shorts are perhaps the least versatile option for visiting Tuscany in October, which is why we left them off our packing list. That is because you won’t be able to wear these in some places such as churches.
However if you are doing more walking and aren’t planning on visiting many churches then you can easily swap out some trousers in favour of shorts.
Have you been to Tuscany in October? What did you wear? We would love to hear in the comments.