Are you wondering what to wear in Venice in October? In this guide we cover what to pack for Venice in October for the weather, special events, dress codes and more.
Important Note: This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click through and make a purchase I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you!
Weather in Venice in October
Venice in October is classified as Fall. Or autumn as we would say in Europe. As such the warmer weather is behind you and you can expect traditional Fall weather with changeable conditions throughout your trip to Venice.
As a general rule of thumb the weather in Venice in Early October tends to be better than that later in the month.
How hot is Venice in October?
The average temperatures in Venice in October tend to range from 19°C/66F to 9°C/48F. However it is warmer in Early October in Venice than late October.
Therefore in answer to is it cold in Venice in October I would say no. Generally speaking you will get mild temperatures in Venice in October but the evenings can get quite chilly so you will want at least some layers in your case.
And if your visit covers two months be sure to check out our other Venice guides:
Is it rainy in Venice in October?
October in Venice typically only sees around 5 days of rain in the month totalling around 35mm. i
Does Venice flood in?
The flood season in Venice known locally as acqua alta usually runs from October to January. October is not the wettest of these months however it is a good idea to have some waterproof shoes with you.
Note: if you are traveling to other cities and regions in Italy be sure to check out our other monthly guides:
- What to wear to Tuscany in October
- What to wear in Italy in October
- What to wear in Milan in October
- What to wear in Rome in October
- What to wear to Italy in October
- What to wear to Pompeii
- What to wear in Naples
- What to wear to the Amalfi Coast
- What to wear in Puglia
- What to wear in Cinque Terre
- What to wear in Lake Como
- What to wear in Positano
How do local people dress in Venice in October?
If you want to be more in keeping with the locals you will need to know how locals Venetians dress.
Locals in Venice tend to have put their summer wardrobes away in October and ahve started to get out coats and layers. .
And you will find that no matter what month you visit Venice that the local Venetians are a fashionable bunch.
Smart casual tends to be the most commonly seen attire in Venice among the locals especially when dining out in Venice. For more information on what to wear to dinner in Italy check out this post
Dress Codes in Venice
The main considerations for October in Venice are dressing for floods and changeable weather. But it is also worth remembering that some of Venice’s most famous tourist attractions have a dress code i.e. St Marks Basilica. For this reason it is worth having one conservative outfit with you if you plan on visiting Italian churches.
What to wear in Venice in October
So now you know what to expect from the weather, what should you wear in Venice in October?
What to wear in Venice in October for women
Loose blouses are perfect for Venice in October as they work brilliantly for cooler nights as well as for sightseeing during the day.
They are also the perfect choice for visiting the duomo and churches where modest attire is required.
Although summer has ended t shirts should still be on your packing list for Venice. We recommend having a mix of short and long sleeve t shirts at this time of year.
To help you not look like a tourist I would recommend sticking to plain t shirts instead of those that have a graphic or text or are in loud colors.
Midi skirts and dresses
Short skirts and dresses are on my what not to wear in Venice list. That is because they are not appropriate in churches like St Marks.
However for October I don’t recommend maxi length skirts and dresses that could drag on the floor. This is because you will be walking over a lot of bridges and cobblestones where these dresses can be a trip hazard.
But also, as October is the start of flood season it is better to not have things that touch the floor as they can get very wet.
Trousers are a great pick for Venice in October. As the weather has cooled in October jeans are a great pick for sightseeing in the city.
This is particularly important if you are visiting towards the end of October. We recommend packing several cardigans or sweaters of different weights for evenings and cooler days as the weather turns more autumnal.
As October is the start of rainy season in Venice a waterproof jacket is an essential. Shop smart lightweight rain jackets here.
A pashmina should be on your Venice packing list no matter the month you are visiting but are especially important for October.
Pashminas can act as a scarf or extra layer on cooler nights and can help make your outfit more modest for visits to churches in Italy. Click here to shop pashminas.
PJs or Nightie
As the weather cools you will want slightly heavier weight pyjamas and nighties.
It is important to stay sunsafe no matter the month you travel to Venice, so be sure to pack sunglasses.
Underwear and Socks
Goes without saying.
What to Wear in Venice in October Packing List for Men
For men visiting Venice in October we recommend adding the following items to your packing list:
- Trousers – chinos and jeans are a perfect pick for Venice in October.
- T Shirts -these are a staple for any Venice packing list. For October we recommend packing a mix of long and short sleeve t shirts.
- Shirts – long sleeves are better for dining al fresco at night as they deter mosquitos but there is no Venice Dress Code short sleeve shirts are against.
- Blazer – A blazer is a great pick for dining in Italian restaurants.
- Waterproof Jacket
- Layers – For the end of October you will want some light layers such as sweaters or cardigans with you as the weather starts to cool.
- Smarter Pair of Shoes for dinner
Best Shoes for Venice in October
Sneakers are a great shoe choice for Venice no matter the month. That is because any visit to Venice involves a lot of walking.
They cope well with cobbles, bridges and more. Some sneakers with some waterproofing is a good idea for Venice in October due to the chances of local flooding.
As the weather is changeable in Venice in October and it is the start of the flood season we recommend having a leather boot with some waterproofing as well as a sneaker. Click here to shop ankle boots.
What to Pack for Venice in October (Non Clothing)
Our essentials to pack for Venice in October are:
- Backpack – for storing items on your day trips.
- Crossbody Bag – anti theft type as with any city it can have issues with pickpockets around main tourist attractions.
- Sun Screen – an essential for all travel packing lisst.
- Aloe Vera / Aftersun – no one wants to get burnt however it is better to have this with you just in case.
- Lipbalm with SPF – Our favorite brand at the minute is sun bum.
- Reusable Water Bottle – There are water fountains all around the city where you can refill your water bottle. This will save you money and is better for the environment so be sure to pack one with you.
- Charging Equipment
- Power pack / Battery Pack
- Travel Adapaters for electronics – Italy uses standard European outputs and plugs.
FAQs about Venice October Packing list
Do you need a jacket in October in Venice?
Yes a jacket is an essential for October in Venice. We recommend having something with some waterproofing.
Can you wear jeans in Venice in October?
As the weather has cooled, jeans have become the perfect trouser for Venice for Fall.
Should I pack swimwear for Venice in October?
Whether of not you need swimwear for October depends on:
- if you plan on visiting a beach
- if your hotel has access to a heated pool
- if you plan to travel to other beach regions of Italy
- if you plan to go on a Med cruise as part of your Venice trip
If you answer yes to the above then you may want to pack some swimwear (particularly early in the month). However others, like me, will find it too cold so you can leave the swimwear at home.
Can you wear shorts in Venice in October?
There is nothing stopping you wearing shorts in Venice in October but you may find it too cold, and is against church dress codes so will not be the most useful item to pack.
Have you been to Venice in October? Tell us what you wore below!